December/ January

Books read in December/ January

1. Geroge R. R. Martin – A Clash of Kings…………………………………………………Finished (709 pages)
  2. Mark Z. Danielewski – House of Leaves………………………………………………. In progress (143 pages)
  3. H. P. Lovecraft – Cool Air……………………………………………………………Finished (29 pages)
  4. H. P. Lovecraft – At the Mountains of Madness……………………………..Finished (32 pages)
  5. Mark Dvoretsky – Dvoretsky’s Endgame Manual……………………..In progress (604/1211 pages)

Reading Rate

1517 pages/ 52 days ≈ 29 pages per day

1517 pages/ 7 days ≈ 216 pages per week

Reflection 

In my opinion, I think this reading ladder was a pretty solid way to end the semester. For the last two months, I’ve gotten a lot of reading done over winter break and also picked up a few books that piqued my interest. Not only did I new books, but I also went back to the books and short stories that I love. Overall, I am happy with the results of the past two months, and just because the semester is done doesn’t mean that I’m going to stop reading. I hope that this reading rate will move on to the next semester and years to come.

Review

House of Leaves: The Remastered Full-Color Edition: Danielewski, Mark Z.:  8601401266464: Books - Amazon.ca

House of Leaves……………………………………..…………..3/5 

Even though I haven’t finished this book, I am still very intrigued with where this book is going. This book is extremely unique in the fact that pages around the middle are structured very differently when compared to other books. This book is also one of the more challenging books that I’ve as the plot is not as clear, which made me look deeper into the details of the book. Also, did I mention this book is also a thriller, which is exactly my style?

Glenn Russell's review of Cool Air

Cool Air……………………………4/5

I’ve always been a fan of H. P. Lovecraft’s works so being able to read more stories from him was an absolute blessing. When I first picked this book up, I had mixed feelings about whether I wanted to read it or not.  I wasn’t a big fan of the title and had multiple guesses on what the book was going to be about; however, knowing Lovecraft, he always finds a way to make something scary. After reading multiple of Lovecraft’s works, I began to fall in love with Lovecraftian Horror. The idea of letting your mind guess the horror has always been a unique and cool idea that I’ve wanted to try. I really enjoyed this short story, but I thought the end was a bit of a letdown. Sure, it had an amazing twist, however, it never seemed like a good conclusion in my opinion.

Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual eBook: Dvoretsky, Mark: Amazon.ca: Kindle StoreDvorestky’s Endgame Manual……………….4/5

Over the past few months, the world of chess slowly began to resurface. Many people began to watch and learn this ancient game and one of those people happened to be me. Not to brag, but I’ve always been a fan of the game whether it’s watching or playing it. As the title suggests, this book is more of an informational guide rather than a novel. I also believe that this is one of those books where people need to be invested in the subject or else they would find it boring. So far, I’ve learned a lot from this book, and I can’t wait to learn more from it

Goals:

As I mentioned earlier, the first semester is about to end; however, that will not stop me from reading. My goal for the rest of the school year is to read more challenging books to help with my ELA mark and writing.

Images:

House of leaves

Cool Air

Dvorestky’s Endgame Manual